AUSIGEN - Family History


Matches 1 to 50 of 2,984

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 60» Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 

Railway Accident at Mittagong
Mr. James Alt
About 11 o'clock on Saturday night last, Mr. James Alt, Station Master of Hilltop for the past ten years, was found on the railway line near Mittagong platform, with both legs injured, apparently from being run over by a train. Mr. Alt had spent the evening in Mittagong and was intending to return to Hilltop by the goods train that leaves Mittagong about 10.30 pm. It is supposed that he caught hold of the rope attached to the brake-van while the train was in motion, but that his foot slipped off the step and, after holding on for about sixteen yards, let go his hold, falling under the wheel which passed over both legs. Of course that is a good deal conjecture as no one witnessed the sad affair. It is not known how long Mr. Alt lay there, but his groans attracted the attention of a guard who was sleeping in a brake-van on the line alongside and who lost no time in communicating with the doctor and police. He was at once conveyed by a special train to Bowral, accompanied by Dr. Middleton and carried on an ambulance stretcher to the Cottage Hospital where it was found that injuries were so extensive as to necessitate the amputation of both legs, one above and the other below the knee. Dr. Fisher applied the anaesthetic, while Drs. Armstrong and Middleton performed the operation without any delay. The patient passed a bad night from sheer exhaustion through loss of blood and shock and only a strong constitution could have survived it all.
On Sunday his condition seemed more hopeful, but during that night unfavourable symptoms set in again. On Monday he was in a critical condition and during that night showed unfavourable symptoms. On enquiry at the hospital yesterday afternoon, we learnt that he was in an extremely serious state, at the same time he is not any worse than he was early in the morning. Mr. Alt's recovery is doubtful. We believe an official inquiry into the occurrence is to be made. Mr. Alt is thirty-two years of age and has a wife and three young children. His brother, Mr. Alt, Station Master at Gordon, visited him at the hospital, also his mother, sister and a very large number of friends. 
Alt, James (I46)

General Sir Martin Farndale
Commander who oversaw the two biggest British military exercises held since D-Day

GENERAL SIR MARTIN FARNDALE, former Commander-in-Chief, the British Army of the Rhine, and Commander, Northern Army Group, who has died aged 71, had a dynamic, inspiring personality which made him successful and popular in a wide variety of projects and several theatres of action.
Urbane, slightly unmilitary in appearance, and softly spoken with a faint lisp, Farndale was relaxed, self-confident and wholly unpretentious. His fellow Nato generals acknowledged him to be one of the most gifted field commanders in the alliance, and knew that his skill as a tactician was informed by a compendious knowledge of military history.
"If you want to go the full 15 rounds with Martin," an American general once commented, "you'd better be prepared to learn that your pet new tactic, which you had toyed with the idea of naming after yourself, was first devised and used in battle by the Romans."
In 1984, as Commander of 1st (British) Corps, BAOR, Farndale oversaw Exercise Lionheart, manoeuvres involving 131,000 British troops, including tens of thousands of Territorials and Army Reservists, and extending over 3,700 square miles. Lionheart, intended to test BAOR's reinforcement plans, was the biggest British military exercise to be held since the Second World War.
As Commander-in-Chief, BAOR, from 1985 to 1987, Farndale worked doggedly to implement a revised "concept of operations" for the Northern Army Group. Under this, the five nations involved agreed to fight under Farndale's direct battlefield command, according to an agreed defensive doctrine and standardised procedures. In the event of a Russian invasion, the new plans, he explained in 1987, would enable Nato forces to "bide our time and then strike viciously, at the time of our choosing, at an exposed flank or sector".
These new operational plans were tested in 1987 during Exercise Certain Strike, the largest and most complex field exercise of its type staged in Europe since the D-Day landings in 1944.
Later, in his capacity as chairman of Royal Artillery Museums, Farndale's drive to establish the RA Museum at Woolwich (which is due to be opened in May 2001) earned him the nickname "Project Champion"; all noted the tremendous energy he showed in fundraising, leadership and organisation. After leaving the Army he had a successful career in industry and as a writer.
Martin Baker Farndale, of Yorkshire farming ancestry, was born in Alberta, Canada, on January 6 1929 and went to Yorebridge Grammar School, Yorkshire.
Having joined the Army in 1946, he attended Sandhurst and was commissioned into the Royal Artillery in 1948. After early service in an anti-aircraft unit on the Suez Canal, he was selected for the 1st Royal Horse Artillery, with whom he served in Germany from 1952 to 1954. He was then posted for three years to HQ 7th Armoured Division, and after that attended the Staff College, Camberley. This was followed by another staff post - with HQ, 17 Gurkha Division, in Malaya.
From 1962 to 1964 Farndale commanded a Chestnut Troop in 1st RHA in Germany and in Aden, where he saw action. He was an instructor at the Staff College from 1966 to 1969, and then was for two years in Northern Ireland, commanding 1st RHA, the first gunner regiment to serve as infantry in Belfast.
After a spell on the defence policy staff at the Ministry of Defence, he commanded 7th Armoured Brigade in Germany; and then from 1976 to 1978 he was Director of Public Relations for the Army.
In the latter post he was a great success, being a fluent and amusing speaker as well as being able to cope at short notice with questions about embarrassing incidents which occasionally occur even in the best conducted units.
He was Director of Military Operations at the Ministry of Defence from 1978 to 1980, during which time he was involved in the arrangements for Rhodesia's independence as Zimbabwe. He went on to command 2nd Armoured Division in BAOR from 1980 to 1983; and thereafter spent the rest of his Army career in Germany, first as Commander of 1st (British) Corps from 1983 to 1985 and then as Commander-in-Chief, BAOR.
After retirement, Farndale became a director and senior defence adviser of Short Bros, and defence adviser to Deloitte Touche.
For eight years he also held the appointment of Master Gunner, St James's Park, an office dating back to the 17th century. The Master Gunner's principal duty is to keep the Queen, who is Captain General of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, informed of all matters pertaining to the Royal Artillery.
Farndale was Colonel Commandant of the Army Air Corps (1980-88), of the Royal Artillery from 1982 and of the RHA from 1988. He was chairman of the Royal United Services Institute (1989-93), and a consultant to Westland Helicopters (1989-95).
From 1993 he was chairman of the Battlefield Trust, which, under the auspices of English Heritage, endeavours to preserve historic battlefields from being destroyed by roadworks or building projects.
Farndale succeeded in saving the site of the Battle of Tewkesbury (1471) from developers. Martin Farndale was also a prolific writer. He wrote a four volume account of the history of the Royal Artillery, covering the years 1914-1998, as well as writing many articles for the British Army Review and the Royal Artillery Journal. He was also interested in genealogy and had traced his family back to 1615.
He was appointed CB in 1980 and KCB in 1983.
He married, in 1955, Anne Buckingham; they had a son 
Farndale, General, Sir Martin Baker KCB (I16579)

A shocking and most distressing occurrence happened a few days since to one of Mr Croker's family. While the youngest child, a boy of about 12 months old, was asleep in bed it was attacked by a rat, which stripped the lower eyelid from its place, and would no doubt have effected other and perhaps fatal injuries had not the poor child cried out, and aroused its parents. As soon as it was day-light, Mr & Mrs Croker drove with the sufferer to Morpeth, but as there was no surgeon there they were recommended to proceed on directly to Newcastle, whither Mrs Croker, in charge of the child, immediately went. Rats are just now very troublesome about the neighbourhood of the river. The premises of Mr C F Holmes, at Fotheringay are much infested with them, and Mr Holmes has been laying down poison for the purpose of exterminating the vermin. Although every precaution was used, some of the house and cattle dogs were unfortunately fatal sufferers. 
Family F6085

Local and General


A large number attended the funeral, on Monday afternoon, of the late Mr. James Loiterton, of Queen street; and among them were many from the Stockinbingal district, where deceased spent so many years on the land.

The Rev. J. H. Sorrell (Methodist), who officiated at the graveside, had with him the Rev. C. Goy, associating in sympathy with the Presbyterian relatives of the deceased.

''This large gathering speaks more eloquently than any words to which I could give utterance," said Mr. Sorrell, "of the appreciation in which the late Mr. Loiterton was held. It is evidence that he lived his life well, He so played his part as to earn the respect of his fellow men. We know that the great test, when the last day comes, is the life we have lived and the deeds we have done; whether we have taken the cup of water to others, and extended the hand of sympathy. The memory of a splendid life of 67 years is something that counts in this world. Many are a weight on life; others put good into it. We think of Mr. Loiterton as one who made the world a better place. Most of you know him better than I did; but I knew something of his good- ness as a husband, as a father, and as a friend. And the memory of these things softens the sorrow of the family to-day. Our sympathy goes out sincerely to them."

[In mentioning the sisters of deceased, in Monday's issue, there was an error. They are: Mrs. James Manning, Stockinbingal, Mrs. Tom Mutch, Cootamundra; Mrs. R. Mutch, Cootamundra; Mrs. Alf Armstrong, Cootamundra; Mrs. C. J. Lines, Leura; and Mrs. A. J. Cranfield, Cootamundra. Ed. C.H.]
Loiterton, James (I1011)

"Veteran Ex-Postmaster"
Late Mr E E Smith
On the eve of his eighty-eighth birthday, Mr E E Smith, who was for many years associated with the postal services of this state, passed away. The late Mr Smith was born in 1847 in Queen Street, immediately opposite where the GPO now stands. His father, John Patience (sic) Smith, familiarly known by his second christian name, had a metal worker's shop and residence there. He was a prominent temperance and church worker.
There was no national school here when Mr E E Smith was a boy. He therefore was sent to a private school conducted by Mr Joseph Hobart Carvosso, father of Mr W H Carvasso, for many years sheriff of the Supreme Court, and a well known cricket umpire, and of Doctor A B Carvosso. The curriculum was a liberal one and the late Mr Smith there became acquainted with Latin and other subjects not taught in the State Primary schools.

Upon leaving school, the young Queenslander entered the postal service, and he remained associated with it until he retired under the age-limit regulations, when he became a Savings Bank officer. During his term in the Postal Department, he served in the travelling post office between Brisbane and Dalby, being one of the first officers to carry out this exacting work in Queensland. He was a model penman, and some time later he was brought into the accounts branch of the head office. His first postmastership was that of the old office in Petrie Terrace, opposite the Normanby Hotel. Then he was transferred successively to the same position at Paddington and George Street, and later he was savings bank officer at Woolloongabba.
The late Mr Smith was twice married and had eleven children, nine of them from his first marriage. His widow and nine of the children survive. Mr A B Smith, for many years associated with His Majesty's Theatre, and now resides at Bribie, is a brother. The funeral took place at Bulimba Cemetery 
Smith, Eli Elijah (I34194)

(Includes photograph of A. F. Sitlington in uniform)

Word was received on Wednesday, by his parents, of the death in France, of Private Alexander Farndale Sitlington, of Colac. He was 26 years of age, and was one of the first to enlist from Colac. He was at the landing at Gallipoli, and was wounded, at Cape Helles, and was sent to Malta, after which he went back to Egypt. He was then sent to France, where he met his death.
Sitlington, Alexander Farndale (I41976)

....... The engagement is announceed of Marion Beth, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs P. Aspland, Hopetoun street, Camperdown, to Gunner Lindsay Roydcn James, second son of Mr and Mrs D. James. "Sunnyridge," spring Gully Road, Bendigo. ............
Family F181

In the death at St. Vincent's Hospital in Sydney on Monday morning of Mr. James Alt of Bowning, one of the best known personalities in the Postmaster-General's Department has passed
on. Jim Alt was known by everyone in the service. Mr. Alt, who was 74 years of age, was Postmaster at Bowning for 32 years. His record of 26 years continuous duty without a holiday is probably unique.
A sad but very human incident occurred on Tuesday afternoon. Mr. McCarrigle, of the Yass Post Office Staff, was on duty at Bowning, when the testing operator at the G.P.O. inquired how the old man was. He was not aware that he was being taken to his last resting place that afternoon.
A native of Yass, Mr. Alt started work at the age of 14 years as a railway porter at Yass Junction. At the age of 32, he lost both legs. He was on duty at Mittagong when he endeavoured to board a train while in motion. He fell and the wheels passed over both his legs. However, he accepted the tragedy philosophically and ten years later took charge of the Bowning Post Office.
It may not be generally known that there is a big testing station at Bowning, with fifteen trunk morse lines, and Mr. Alt was regarded by the testing officer in the G.P.O. as one of the most reliable testing officers in the south. He was a steady and efficient morse operator and a particularly methodical man.
When the Albury mail train was derailed just beyond Bowning a few years ago, Mr. Alt rose to the occasion and put up a wonderful performance transmitting and receiving telegrams. He kept the dots and dashes going for hours on end with characteristic efficiency. From the little Bowning Post Office, many anxious moments were relieved f(?r people all over the State who had relatives on the wrecked train.
But that is only one side of Mr. Alt's long and useful life. As a patriarch of Bowning, he was held in the highest esteem and adrniration.
The late Mr. Alt is survived by one son, James (Bowning) and one son predeceased him. Two daughters also survive, Mrs Jack O'Brien of Maroubra and Mrs C. Jones of Wau, New Guinea.
There was a large and representative cortege at the funeral, which took place in Bowning on Tuesday afternoon from the Catholic Church to the local cemetery, where the Rev. Fr. McCusker officiated. The funeral was conducted by Mr W.H. McIntosh.
Among the wreaths received were the following: Alice and Sam, Clara and Frank, Mr. and Mrs. M.C. Smith and family, Mr. and Mrs. W. Armour, Mr. and Mrs. Loomes and Ric., Anne and Hugh Muir, Zeta and Athol Pearce, Grace and R. Holmes, Miss Wall, Limestone, Mrs. Pearce Senr., and family, Mrs. K. Ryan and family, Mr. and Mrs. Hollis and Mr. and Mrs. Turner, Yass P.O. Staff, Mrs. Morgan and Vera, the Glover family, Mr. and Mrs. Alf. Armour and family, All at Charlesville, Mr. and Mrs. Alchin and family, Mrs. 0. Hilly and family, Mrs. Hannford and family, Mrs. and Mr. W. Chown, Mr. and Mrs. Don Meikieham, Neta and Claude Ryan, Molly Crossley and Mr. and Mrs. G. Armour, Major Weir, B. Eglington, Mr. and Mrs. Bill Richards and family. 
Alt, James (I46)

A BOLT that was fortunately unattended with serious consequences occurred yesterday evening. Mr. Aspland was engaged removing furniture to his new residence, Cr??sy road, when the horse took fright at a bicyclist, and bolted in spite of the exertions of two men to hold it. It first of all came into contact with, a buggy and pair driven by Mr. Gibson, and capsized the trap. The animal then careered wildly up Manifold street, and turned down into Scott street, where it was subsequently caught. The contents of the waggonette were scattered abroad and somewhat damaged. Mr. Aspland, himself, was knocked down in his attempt to stay the progress of the animal, and dragged several yards. He was stunned and bruised by the fall. 
Aspland, William Middleton (I74)

A wedding took place at St. Clement's Church, Yass, on Wednesday, when Mr. James Weatherby, son of Mr. George Weatherby, was married to Miss Amelia Mote, daughter of Mrs. George Weatherby, of Yass, and the late Mr. James Mote. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Canon Faunce, assisted by the Rev. A.E. Coote, B.A., the church being beautifully decorated for the occasion. The bride wore a dress of ivory silk, trimmed with Yak lace, and accordeon pleated chiffon, also a wreath and veil. Her diamond bangle and shower bouquet were gifts from the bride- groom. Miss Alice Mote was chief bridesmaid, and wore cream voile, and a pale blue chiffon hat. Her Nellie stewart bangle and shower bouquet were gifts of the bridegroom. The brlde's two little nieces, the Misses Doris and Eileen Sheeky, and Miss Madge Jewell, acted as trainbearers, dressed in cream, with wreaths and and veils on their heads. They carried baskets of flowers, and wore gold brooches, gifts from the bridegroom. Mr. G. Weatherby was best man. After the ceremony the bride's mother held a reception and the company, numbering over 60, were subsequently entertained at the wedding breakfast. Later the bride and bridegroom left for Sydney, the bride's travelling dress being of flecked tweed and a black hat. 
Mote, Alice May (I14)

A wedding took place at St. Clement's Church, Yass, on Wednesday, when Mr. James Weatherby, son of Mr. George Weatherby, was married to Miss Amelia Mote, daughter of Mrs. George Weatherby, of Yass, and the late Mr. James Mote. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Canon Faunce, assisted by the Rev. A.E. Coote, B.A., the church being beautifully decorated for the occasion. The bride wore a dress of ivory silk, trimmed with Yak lace, and accordeon pleated chiffon, also a wreath and veil. Her diamond bangle and shower bouquet were gifts from the bride- groom. Miss Alice Mote was chief bridesmaid, and wore cream voile, and a pale blue chiffon hat. Her Nellie stewart bangle and shower bouquet were gifts of the bridegroom. The brlde's two little nieces, the Misses Doris and Eileen Sheeky, and Miss Madge Jewell, acted as trainbearers, dressed in cream, with wreaths and and veils on their heads. They carried baskets of flowers, and wore gold brooches, gifts from the bridegroom. Mr. G. Weatherby was best man. After the ceremony the bride's mother held a reception and the company, numbering over 60, were subsequently entertained at the wedding breakfast. Later the bride and bridegroom left for Sydney, the bride's travelling dress being of flecked tweed and a black hat. 
Family F10

Mr. Alt, Station master at Cob Vale, who was so injured at Mittagong on 12th June by being run over by a train as to necessitate the amputation of both legs, has recently been discharged from the Cottage Hospital, Bowral, as cured. Very few cases are recorded of recovery after such injuries, and Mr. Alt's bears testimony to the excellence of the medical and nursing treatment he received. It is stated that the Railway Commissioners propose finding Mr. Alt some suitable employment at Goulburn Station
Alt, James (I46)
13 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Mote, Robert (I1)


Les Aspland for all Smokers' Requirements.
Aspland, Leslie James (I75)




Has secured the services of Mr. JOE GARRY, who is known far and wide as a FIRST CLASS TRADESMAN, and new and old clients can rely on first class atten tion. Three chairs-No Waiting. Our Saloon has a reputation second to none for cleanliness and civility. If we please you tell your friends ----- if not tell us.

Just arrived --- Indent of Bengall Razors --- all guaranteed. LES ASPLAND.

LES ASPLAND'S Saloon has reputation second to none for Cleanliness and Civility.

See Pipe Display at Les Aspland's. Hundreds to choose from.

Aspland, Leslie James (I75)

Last Sunday morning it was reported in town that Mr. Ebenezer Douglas Dunlop, farmer, Kitty's Creek, a few miles from Yass, had suddenly dropped dead near the entrance of his dwelling-house. At an early hour yesterday morning the coroner (Dr. Blake) proceeded to the locality to hold the necessary inquest. As the evidence proceeded the case assumed a most serious aspect, and pointed to poison having been administered to the deceased on the morning of his death, apparently in a glass of spirits; and one witness asserted that before death occurred the deceased accused his wife with having poisoned him.
The inquest adjourned for a week, in order that the stomach might be forwarded to Sydney for analysis. Meantime we withhold publication of the evidence taken, or any comments on the sad occurrence. The police yesterday evening apprehended the wife of deceased, and she is now in custody awaiting the result of the inquiry 
Family F7979

An interesting wedding was solemnised at St. Augustine's, Yass, last week, the contracting parties being Mr. Frank Delaney, of Albury, and Miss Clara Mote, of Yass. The bride wore a smart costume of cream hopsac, coat and skirt, and white felt plumed hat, with white furs, and the groom's wedding present of a gold cable bangle. after the wedding festivitie, Mr. and Mrs. Delaney leftfor their home at Albury.
Family F13


A pretty wedding was celebrated recently at St. James' Church of England, Stockinbingal, the contracting parties being Alice Mary, youngest daughter of Mrs. Sheather and the late Samuel Sheather, of Stockinbingal, and Constable Frank T. Anderson, of Goulburn, eldest son of Cr. and Mrs. A. C. Anderson, of Kurrajong. The Rev. Norman Gardner officiated.

The bride, who entered the church on the arm of her brother Alfred, was charmingly attired in a gown of ivory satin charmante, draped with radium lace and silver bugle beads and had a train lined with shell pink ninon, and wore a tulle veil caught in mob cap fashion by the coronet of orange blossoms and silver leaves. She also wore a necklet of aquamarines and pearls, and carried a bouquet of dahlias and carnations, gifts of the bridegroom.

Miss Duncombe was bridesmaid and Little Misses Doreen Jordan and ?arie Clements, nieces of the bride, train- bearers. Mr. Albert Williams, of Cootamundra, was best man. The bride's gift to the bridegroom was a gold-mounted pocket wallet.

After the ceremony a reception was held in Ayers' Hall, where about fifty guests were received by Mrs. Sheather.

Mr. and Mrs. Anderson spent their honeymoon on the South Coast, and have now taken up their residence in Goulburn.
Family F4188

As previously reported in these columns, the death occurred suddenly at his residence, 2 Brial Street, Boorowa, on Thursday, July 8, of Mr. George Wales, well-known and highly respected resident of the Boorowa district, at the age of 86 years.
The late Mr. Wales, who was born at Wargeila in 1867, was the youngest son of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Wales, and was the last surviving member of a family of nine.
On October 9, 1895, he married Miss Mary Martin in St. Patrick's Church, Boorowa, and took up residence in the Bowning District.
In 1907 he acquired a grazing property known as "Hassells Creek," Bowning, which he carried on successfully until ill-health forced his retirement from grazing pursuits in 1935. After disposing of his property to Mr., now Sir Walter Merriman, the late Mr. Wales purchased town properties at Boorowa, where he resided until the time of his death.
Possessing a car driver's licence until the time of his death, the late Mr. Wales was a devout Catholic and a foundation member of the Holy Name Society, his car was seldom missing from outside the Church on Sundays.
He was possessed of a cheerful dispositions and enjoyed relating his experiences of early pioneering days, which was spent in the district of his birth, which he served so well and notably.
He is survived by his sorrowing wife, three daughters, Ella (Mrs. Crawford, Concord West), Irene (Mrs. E. Harding, Boorowa), Vera (Mrs. F. Harding, Marrickville) and one son George, of Bowning. One son, Joseph, pre-deceased him. There are also 16 grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren.
Requiem Mass was celebrated for the repose of his soul in St. Patrick's Church, Boorowa, at 8.0 a.m. on Friday, July 9, by the Rev. Fr. Reynolds.
Following a service at 3 p.m. in St. Patrick's Church by the Rev. Fr. Greene, the funeral, which was a striking and fitting tribute to the memory of one such as George Wales, moved to the Catholic portion of the Boorowa Cemetery where the remains were interred. Rev. Fr. Greene officiated at the graveside and the funeral arrangements were carried out by Patterson Bros. Pall bearers were George (son), Eric Harding (son-in-law), J. Moore, R. Packham, H. Wales (nephews), and George Dunn.

The family wreath was lowered with the casket. Floral tributes were forwarded from the following: Loving Wife and Family; Grandchildren; Patricia, Phillip, Terry and Doreen; Bob Fan, Ellma Jack and Family; Mrs. F. L. Wheeler, Jack and Agnes; Bill Kate and Family; Lucy, Jean and Roy; Fred Turton and all at Elmslie; Maisie and George Dunn and Family; Les Heather and Gloria Jones and Mr. and Mrs. W. Simpson; Mr. and Mrs. Frank Cleary; Daphne and Keith Martin; Albert; Mrs. Bryce and Family; Mr. and Mrs. Greg Shaw; E. Boulding & Sons; Railway Staff, Bowning 
Wales, George Henry (I1406)

At the Sacred Heart Hospital yesterday morning a kindly Cootamundra old hand, Mr Thomas Wales, aged 84, passed away after about three week's illness.

For the past six years deceased had been unable to get about much, but prior to that he was active with his horse and dray.

His wife predeceased him about twenty years ago.

Two sons survive - Messrs. Gus (Cootamundra), Fred (Sydney), and two married daughters, one of Temora and the other of Sydney.

The interment took place in the RC portion of the cemetery at 3pm yesterday afternoon; and it was well attended 
Wales, Thomas Henry (I1423)

A meeting of persons favourable to the formation of a bicycle club in Yass was held at Mote's hotel on Saturday evening. There were ten persons pre- sent. Mr. W. Howard was voted to the chair, and after he had explained the object of the meeting, Mr. Styles proposed--That a bicycle club be formed in Yass, to be called the Yass Bicycle Club. Mr. Knox seconded the motion, which was carried. On the motion of Mr Knox, seconded by Mr. Styles, it was resolved that the entrance fee be 2s 6d.. The following members were then enrolled:- T. Colls, A. C. Wood, J. F. Mote, J. Styles, D. W. Howell, W. Howard, S. Colls, G. W. Wilson, J. Knox, F. Mote, J. Horan, and F. Bard. The following gentlemen were elected office-bearers :?President, Mr. T. Colls, J.P., vice-president, Mr. A. C. Wood, mayor; secretary and treasurer, Mr. W. Howard. A com- mittee, consisting of Messrs., T. Colls, A. C. Wood, W. Howard, J. Styles, J. Knox, G. W. Wilson, and S. Colls, was appointed for the purpose of drawing up a code of rules for the guidance of the club, and submit the same to a meeting of members to be held at Mote's hotel on Wednesday evening, 1st July, at 7.30.
Mote, James Frederick (I18)


.............. WOODMASON (nee Doris Aspland) -On the 27th January at Eglinton private hospital, Inverness avenue, Malvern, to Mr and Mrs Arthur Woodmason, Torquay, Elizabeth Strect, Malvern-a daughter (Joan Albutt).
Aspland, Doris Jean (I124)


Outbreak at Mr. Jim Loiterton's Farm 100 ACRES OF GRASS

At noon on Saturday a fire broke out on Mr. James Loiterton's, a mile and a half from town.

A number of willing workers rushed out to the combat, and the progress of the flames was arrested when it reached the wheat.

About 100 acres of grass were destroyed, and some fencing.

After this experience -- the first fire of the season -- landholders will need to look out.
Loiterton, James (I1011)


Farewell Mr. Ray Mutch

Representatives of Cootamundra and district bush fire brigades and other bodies gathered at the Hotel Central on Friday evening to bid farewell to Mr. Ray Mutch. who is leaving Cootamundra for Newcastle.

Many sincere and glowing tributes were paid to Mr. Mutch for his splendid work as secretary of the Cootamundra Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade, his fine qualities as a citizen, and as a business man and a judge of stock.

Mr. E. J. O'Connor, president of the Cootamundra Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade, chaired the gathering, and read out a long list of apologies.

Mr. O'Connor said it was with very great regret that they were assembled to say farewell to their late secretary. Ray had been the perfect secretary. As a business man and auctioneer he had excelled. There was no one better in Cootamundra. His valuations of stock had been remarkably accurate.

Mr. O'Connor added that he was sorry to lose a good and sincere friend, and knew that Ray would make a success of anything he undertook.

The president was supported in his remarks by Messrs. A. Bragg, F. Ward; B. O'Connor, J. Kirley, T. Bannon; W. Loiterton; Const. H.Clifton, K. Corby, W. J. Elliott, Ray Ryals, S. Worthington, J. Faunt, R. Punnett, M. McClintock, D. McClintock, J.Moore, W. C. Elliott. L. Sutton, L. Forsyth, E.Elrlngton. W. Corby, N. Armour, H. G. O. Burrows, B. Williams, and M. Scott.

Cr. A. Donaldson (shire president) made a presentation to the guest of a substantial wallet of notes; He said it was a great honor to do so. The town and district had sustained a great loss. They would miss Ray very much, and hoped to see him back. He felt that the remarks passed that night had been very sincere.

Mr. Mutch, in reply, said that it was not only a proud moment for him, but a very emotional one. No one ap preciated friendships more than he did. He had tried to make his life a useful one, and it was more than gratifying to see such a gathering of friends. Every thinking Australian realised that Australia's national income depended on what it could produce. He believed it to be his duty to be constructive and helpful to the pri mary industry in any way possible. One way was to assist in fighting the bush fire menace. He had appreciated the cordiality and good friendship extended to him by members of the dif ferent brigades. Mr. J. Leahy, as president, had been a great worker, and Mr. O'Connor would be equally so. In many instances the speakers had overstated his ability. He and his wife would like to see Cootamundra friends at Newcastle. He thanked them all very sincerely.

Mr. Mutch then proceeded to propose 'The Cootamundra- Bush Fire Brigade's New Secretary (Mr. R. Loiterton)," and said he thought that Ron could do a better job.

In responding, Mr. Loiterton said that Ray had carried out the job to such a degree of perfection that it was going to be hard to follow him. However, he would do his best. With Ray's departure he was losing a great friend. His ability to weigh small matters just as accurately as big ones, together with his outstanding honesty, had made him a prominent figure in tho town and district.

Mr. J. Moore proposed 'The Ladies," and said that the calibre, of the womenfolk of a town and district made it, and in this respect they were very fortunate. Mrs. Smart, in responding, said that anything done had been with the greatest of pleasure.

Mr. and Mrs. Smart were also thanked for the manner in which they had catered for the function.

Mr. J. Kirley proposed "The Press," and Mr. H. Plnkstone responded.

The final toast of the evening was that of 'The Cootamundra Volunteer Bush Fire Brigade.'"This was pro posed by Cr. A. Donaldson, and Mr. E. J. O'Connor responded.
Mutch, Raymond Wilfred (I1120)

BUSINESS CHANGES.-Mr. P. Sheekey has bought the bakery business of Mr. Walters, and Mr. L.Walton has disposed of his chemists' business in Yass to a Sydney gentleman.
Sheekey, Patrick (I10749)


I HEREBY Caution all Constables and others from molesting me after this notice, I having lost my Certificate of Freedom.

Description-Name, Jeremiah Crossley; ship, John 3; year of arrival, 1832; sentence, seven years; tried at York, 1831; native place, Yorkshire; year of birth, 1811 ; hair, brown; eyes, grey; height, five feet eight and three-quarter inches; complexion, ruddy; trade or calling, brickmaker ; general remarks, two upper front teeth wide, small-pock mark on the back of eachhand. 
Crossley, Jeremiah (I20)


Monday, January 10:
Rosa Ann Wales deposed: I have been already examined in this case; I will be seventeen years of age on the 19th next April; I was the adopted daughter of the late Ebenezer Douglas Dunlop and Mrs. Dunlop; I believe I was with them twelve years; sometimes Mr. and Mrs. Dunlop lived peaceably and sometimes not very peacefully; they have had one or two serious quarrels since I knew them; I recollect the Wednesday before Christmas; on that day I was in Yass; my aunt, Mrs. Dunlop, was with me; we purchased that day a half gallon of rum, but nothing about the brandy; on Christmas eve my uncle was drinking rum; he did not drink a great deal; I cannot say how many glasses; Mr. Thomas Hines called that night about six o'clock and remained perhaps about an hour; they had some spirits together; next morning, Christmas morning, my uncle was in good health; he was lying on the sofa most part of the day reading a paper he got from home; he occasionally took a glass of this rum; my aunt was lying down part of the day; I think I saw her take one glass of brandy; during Christmas day I did not notice her to be under the influence of drink; they were, I think, friendly on that day; about six o'clock that evening Alfred Davis and John Ahearn called; there might be some talk about my going to get married to Alfred Davis; they remained there until nine o'clock or perhaps a few minutes later; During the time they were there they has some drink; Mrs Dunlop gave my uncle rum and Dr Davis brandy; After they had left my uncle said to me "are you coming to the well with me". I said, "you don't want me". During this time Mr Dunlop was feeding the pig; the sty was not a hundred yards from the house. Mrs Dunlop first returned to the house; she asked me "did not uncle want you to go for the water?"; I said yes; she said "He always wants someone with him."; this occurred after nine o'clock; after this Mrs Dunlop came in and went to bed; she went into her bedroom and went to bed for I saw her; I sat on the sofa; During the time I was sitting on the sofa she called out from the bedroom "I am frightenedfor poor uncle, I am afraid he will do something." I saw nothing in uncle's manner to lead me to think he would do anything more than usual; I was not afraid of him; She said if my uncle said anything to me not to make him any back answer. I saw my uncle return; he returned just as my aunt spoke; he went into the kitchen; the kitchen is about four or five yards from the parlor, and the doors are opposite each other, and we couls see into one from the other. I went into the kitchen and said "Good night uncle, I am going to bed". He said, "all right, I have got the water without you." I then left, leaving him in the kitchen. I went into my room and went to bed. I went through the parlor, through the front parlor door, along the verandah, and then to my room which is a skillion room at the end of the house. I shut the front parlor door when I went out. I pulled it to, and could then open it again if I wish. A slab wall divides Mrs Dunlop's bed and mine. When I went to bed Mrs. Dunlop said "Rosey, don't go to sleep." I said o. She said this to me four or five times. She said she did not know where my uncle was - that he was out. I answered he every time up to the last. I said I would not go to sleep. The last time I did not answer her. I then heard her get up out of bed and heard her with some keys. They were making a nose. I heard her unlocking a box and open it. She then closed the box and locked it. I heard her then go into bed again. She did not speak to me after that. My uncle then cam back. It was before eleven o'clock. I did not hear eleven strike. I heard my uncle go into the parlor, and from that into the room where Mrs. Dunlop was. I heard the bed make a noise as he sat down upon it. I heard my aunt ask where he had been. He said "I went for a bit of a walk with my dog over to the gate". She said something else to him but I cannot say what it was.

He went out to the parlor and had a glass of something and she said "you are drinking too much!" He said "no, I only took a small glass." He came back then and again sat upon the bed. I then went to sleep and do not know what afterwards occurred. I was awoke between twelve and one o'clock. My uncle called me. He called "Rosey, Rosey, come to me, I have fallen!"

I got up but did not dress. I ran out in my nightdress. When I left my own room I went to the front door of the parlor where I had come out of before. When I reached there the door was barred inside and I could not get in. I do not know who barred the door. It was not barred when I went to bed. I sang out and said "Uncle, open the door for me". He said, "I cannot move. I fell". I then went round the house to the gate, went through the garden and to the kitchen. On reaching the kitchen I saw uncle lying on the stones between the kitchen and the house. My aunt was sitting at an outhouse or store some yards away and about six or seven yards from where uncle was lying. I asked uncle "What's the matter with you?" He said, "I am poisoned!" I said "no you are not" He said, "I am." I said then "How did you get it!" He said I got it in the last glass." I said "You could not, you took it yourself." He said "No, I did not, your aunt gave it to me." I said "no, I heard you take it yourself." He said, "No, she gave it to me. I told her when she gave it to me that it was bitter. I wanted a drink of water and she told me to take some sugar!" He also said she wanted him to go to bed at once. He said that when he was going for the water he had the first fit and fell. I asked what way he knew he was poisoned. He said he knew the fits, and that they were caused by strychnine. I asked him how do you know it was strychnine, and he said because he had seen dogs poisoned with it. Mrs. Dunlop was present and could have heard every word said while Dunlop was speaking. Mrs. Dunlop said "How can you think that I" He said "You did" and "You have done it at last Kitty!" Mrs. Dunlop was crying and I do not think she made any answer to this. Dunlop then said "I wish there was a doctor here" Aunt said "we'll send for a doctor" and he said "it is no use, I will be dead."

He asked aunt - said "Kate (meaning my aunt) go for a neighbor!" She said "Rosey will go." He said "No, Rosey wont go" and "Rosey don't leave me or I will be dead before you come back!" He had a fit then. I then left and went for Mr. Garner.

Mr. Garners' is not far distant. I informed Mr. Garner and ran back again. On my return I found uncle dead and lying in the same place but on his face and hands. When I left he was on his back. Mrs. Dunlop was then pouring water from a jug on his head. I asked her what she was doing and she said he had asked her for a drink but could not take it, and had then asked her to pour it on him. Then Mr. Garner came. Mr. Garner asked what had happened.

I went away to tie up a big dog that was loose. I do not think I made any reply to him. During the time he was there he asked what had happened. We both replied. I said "He said he had got something in the grog." I said to Mr. Garner that my uncle said there was poison in the grog but I do not remember telling him that my uncle [had] said my aunt had given it to him. We carried the body inside and laid it on the sofa. After I went out first, my aunt asked me to give deceased some painkiller. I did so. I gave him what was in the bottle. That was scarcely a teaspoonful. On next day (Sunday) I saw a policeman out there. I did not ell him all I have told you today. He asked me something about how deceased died. I told him something but nothing about the poison. Mr. David Webster and others were there that day (Sunday).

On that night my aunt and I had some conversation. This was previous to the inquest. She told me not to speak about giving him painkiller and not to say anything about his saying he had poison given to him. "If you do we will all get into trouble about it!" She said he would be cut up and butchered like a bullock. I do not think she said anything else. She said we would all be taken to gaol. I said I would not, but if they asked me I would tell then. She said, "Very well, I'll say no more to you - you can do as you like!" She further said "Oh, Rosey, you have turned on me!" After saying this she was crying. On Sunday morning I swept up the bedroom floor. I found a cork. There was a piece broken off the cork. I found it on the verandah in the dirt I had swept out of Mrs. Dunlop's bedroom. I had a recollection of seeing the cork previous to this. I believed it to be the cork of a bottle that contained poison - strychnine. I had seen the bottle previous to this in the looking-glass drawer on the table in Mrs. Dunlop's bedroom. As far as I can judge, it was about twelve months before I had seen the bottle in the drawer. My uncle got the bottle and strychnine some years ago. I heard my aunt that day state to sub-inspector Brennan that that poison had been destroyed years ago. I heard her say there had been no strychnine there for the last even years. I do not remember hearing her say my uncle could not have been poisoned with strychnine as there had been none in the house. I heard her say that uncle never said before he died that he had been poisoned with strychnine. I said he did say so. On Christmas Day she asked me to have a glass. This was before my uncle died. She said it was peppermint. The glass (tumbler) was about half full and the contents were of a yellowish color. I took it out of her hand. I drank about half of it. I said, "It is very strong. I don't like it!" She said, "you'd better drink it!" She forced it on me and put the tumbler to my lips and wanted me to drink it. She did not force any of it into my mouth but she endeavored to do so. I felt sick to my stomach after taking it. I spoke to her about it and she said "Oh, you have been nicely taken in - most of it was brandy." I do not know if it was brandy or not. It smelled like peppermint. It was somewhat bitter. I would not know the taste of brandy. Mrs. Dunlop may have had a few glasses during Christmas. She never showed signs of drink. She had drink before the inquest. On the Sunday night after my uncle's death, she drank. My uncle died with the knowledge that he was poisoned and he said my Aunt had poisoned him.

Mrs. Dunlop was always very kind to me. She was as kind to me as my own mother could be, if not kinder. My uncle also was very kind - a kindness such as a father would show to his daughter and nothing more. I have no feeling of animosity against Mrs. Dunlop and I make this statement honestly and it is all correct. If I had not been asked about the poison or foul play I would not have said anything about it. Mr. Arthur Webster was the first I told the particulars about the poison to. I know nothing more than what I have told about the death of Mr. Dunlop. I recollect seeing sub-inspector Brennan out there and saw him find some poisons in the pantry - one was vermin killer, the other oxalic acid, and the other hartshorn. It is a long time since any of the vermin killers was used. The police took these poisons away with them.

To Mr. Wilkinson (solicitor for Mrs. Dunlop): There has been one young man coming there lately and paying his addresses to one - Mr. Alfred Davis. There has been on one else. Some twelve months back a person named Garner used to come. Some times Mrs. Dunlop advised me for Mr. Davis and sometimes against him. My uncle was always for him. I am quite sure Mr. Dunlop was in favor of Mr. Davis and never did anything to prevent it. He never spoke against Mr. Alfred Davis coming there. I was on the best of terms with Mrs. Dunlop about Alfred Davis. I recollect two serious quarrels between Mr. and Mrs. Dunlop. I know that Mrs. Dunlop made up some story about Alfred Davis and told it to my uncle to put him against us but it was only a story. That was one quarrel they had and it was about me. It was a serious quarrel. The other was a long time ago when I was very young. My uncle told me it was about my turning to my aunt's religion. The only serious quarrels I know them to have had were about me. I was very angry at the time with Mrs. Dunlop for talking about Alfred Davis. I am not still very angry about it. My anger lasted some two or three days. I am not very anxious to get Alfred Davis.

Mrs. Dunlop has often before come into Yass and purchased brandy and rum before Christmas. We always had drink in the house at that time. Uncle had not had any spirits in the house between last Christmas twelve months and the last Christmas. Uncle had been complaining of a pain in his side for over two years but said it was only rheumatic. Some time ago I heard him say the pain would be the death of him but not lately. The Wednesday before Christmas was the last time I heard him complain of the pain. When he was dying he spoke more to me than to Mrs. Dunlop. He had not a hold of her hand when I was present. I did not hear conversation pass between deceased and Mr. Hines on Christmas eve. I did not hear Dunlop walk about on Christmas Day complaining about me and Davis. His manner did not seam strange to me on that day. He had been taking a glass occasionally but you would never know he had been drinking. A stranger would not. Mrs. Dunlop said she was afraid of him. Deceased did not say to me that he had no one to care for him and I did not hear him say I would be the death of him.

The door of the parlor is barred on some nights and not on others. He was lying about the same place on my return as when I left him to go for Mr. Garner. His head was off the pillow but his feet were in the same place. I told Mr. Webster about what my uncle said and I told Mr. Hines when leaving for Yass to be sure and have and inquest. Mr. Hines is on the jury. I do not remember all I said to Mr. Hines. The drawer in the looking glass was the place the strychnine was kept. I saw it about twelve months ago there. I saw it lying in the drawer but did not touch it or examine it. I believe the cork I have referred to to be the cork that was in the bottle. I wont swear positively it is the cork but I believe it to be the cork. There were plent of bottles in the house with corks. There was one the same size but its cork is a new one and this cork is an old one. There may have been more than one bottle of the same size in the house.

After the death Alfred Davis was at the place. He came there perhaps eight o'clock before the inquest. I believe he was there all Sunday and went home with his father and mother before sundown. He came back on Sunday night about nine o'clock. He stopped all night. We were sitting together but not alone. He was not paying his address to me on this very Sunday. I did say to Mrs. Dunlop I would never forgive her for telling the story about Davis but did not swear it.  
Family F7979


A picturesque wedding took place at St. James' Church, Stockinbingal, on Wednesday, March 5th. The bridegroom was Frank, fifth son of Mr. Joseph Corby, of ' Sunnydale,' and the bride, Nellie, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Loiterton, jun., of Mount Hope. Stockinbingal.

The church, waa very tastefully decorated with asparagus fern and evergreens, tied with white ribbons, done by the girl-friends of the bride. The ceremony was conducted by the Ven. Archdeacon Simpson. The bride, who waa given away by her father, wore white cache-de-soie draped with chiffon, and also wore a wreath and veil, and carried a ahower bouquet of cactus dahlias, autumn lily, maden hair and asparagus fern. The only ornament worn, waa a gold pendant and chain, the gift of the bridegroom. She waa attended by three bridesmaids? Misses Elsie and Eileen Loiterton (sisters), and Miss Ivy Corby (sister of bridegroom)? who were dressed in striped Jap. silk, with malines lace and trimming. The brooches with their bouquets were the gifts of the bridegroom. Mr. Bert. Corby was best man, and Mr. Herb. Loiterton groomsman. After the ceremony the guests ad journed to the residence of the parents, where the wedding breakfast was served, followed by a dance at night, when about 800 guests took part. Tbe happy couple left by the; after noon train for Sydney, where the honeymoon is to be spent. The bride's travelling dress was a navy coat and skirt, with hat to match. *

PRESENTS. Bridegroom to Bride, gold pendant and chain; Bride to Bridegroom, silver shaving outfit; Bridegroom to Bridesmaids, gold brooches ; Mr. J. Loiterton (father), cheque; Mrs. J . Loiterton (mother), house linen : Mr. Herb. Loiterton (brother), silver mid. hair brush aad comb ; Mr. L. Loiterton (bro.), silver cake dish; Walter and Allen (bros.), silver pickle jar ; Mr. Harold Loi terton (bro.), silver butter knife and sugar apoons ; Miss Elsie Loiterton (sister), silver serviette rings ; Miss Eileen Loiterton (sis.), set silver afternoon tea spoons in case ; Mr. C. Loiterton, senr., cheque; Mrs. C. Loiterton, senior, afternoon tea set.; Misses Millie and Doris Loiterton (sisters), cut glass sauce decanters; Mr. J. Corby (father of Bridegroom), cheque: Mrs. J. Corby (mother), household furniture com plete ; Mr. Bert Corby (bro.), marble clock ; Mr. Ern. Corby (bro.) bro* ae lamp ; Mr. Victor Curby (bro), oak picture frame; Mr. Horace Corby (bro.)f pair a.m. vases;. Mr. Earl Corby (tro.), pair a.m. perfume bottle#; Mr. Cyril Corby (bro.), jardmecr ; Min Ivy Corby (?iater), s.m. jam dUh and apoon ; Mies Dnlcie Corby (lis.), pair perfume bo'.* ties; Miases Tbeliaa and lulda Corby (ais.), a.m.-.'iilad bowl ; Matters J)eeaoDd and Norman Corby (broe.), diver augir scuttle ; Miss BUietBeflsaas, silver breakfast cruet ; Mies May'BslImaa, afternoon tea set ; Mr. Chafei'BeUman, 'silver aaoce enut ; Mr. Alf* Bellman, pair ornaments ; Mr. and Mrs. C. Loitsrtq^j^m^dbnec^kBivfls and forks ; Mr. and Mrs. W. Loitertoo, dinner knives ; Mr. and Mrr. Jas. Loiterton,' silver baoked band mirror Mw- Maude Loiterton, tea ?poo&s; 'Mr.*ah3Mn. S.'Corby, silver butter nub ; Mr. W. Corby, f-ea., silver jam dish ; ?Mr. Alf. and /.Misi-ETsie Corby, . Gtit biscuit 'taml ; Mr. -Fercy and Miss Elsie Corby, aftez&ooa-tea aet ^JfrraaffiMri. A. Corby, silveni(ia,.pot ;'Mr. ..and4iMifl. T. Corby, lamp ; Mus HJv':Corby, glass dish ; jfr, Peroy aud.MiM.M.' Corbv. afternoon tea set:

JJCewre. aa3,&fi-8ee Elliott^, sot oanrers and steel in case; Mr. i^Bar^ess. diver button book iao'd'sHoo lift ; Mr. B. NewbonDd, pair silver saltadn Csso ; Yen. ^ri-hdeabon Simp son, Biblel) Meters. Albert an4 Liobel Tetby, ink*tand uMr. K V, Begloy,'-: silver teapot ; iMescrs 8. Oohenasd Co., silver hot water kettle.?ndt e&nd ',i Miss M. Broady, silver toest taok-; jB&. Jss. and Miss* A^ Priestly, ritver o?g cruet ;*1Cm MoQaeen, rilver but ter knife; Mr. MoOo&ald, silver:-; breakfast or net ; Mies B. Finch, 'illvtr breakfast cruet; .Mr. H. Leaby. sUver dinner -ruot-; Mr. A. XJurry, 'silrcr Jap* breiak. cruet Mr. and 'Mrs. T. N? ville, eilvendinner oruet ; Mr. Theo. . Webb, 'silver dinner cruet ; :Mr. B. A. Fincb, silver jam dish ; Mies A. Curry, sil ver sweet dish ; Miss P? Caoty, silver honey jar.; Mr. and Mifsvli. Pi Forsyth,, silver .eugarsouttlei;: Mr. CLMatxning, pair, photo frames ; Mr. 
Family F556

Dr. Blake held an inquest at Wargeila on Friday last when the following evidence, touching the death of deceased (Jeremiah Crossley) was taken.

Hezekiah Crossley Deposed.
I am a son of the deceased and lived in the same house with him; the last time I saw deceased alive was about half past 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon, the 31st of July. He complained that he was suffering acute pains in his legs; deceased had been suffering for some time past from rheumatic pains; I was absent from home from half past five o'clock yesterday afternoon until ten o'clock at night; when I returned home at ten o'clock I did not see deceased.

About two o'clock this morning my mother woke me up, telling me to come out, that she wanted me; I came out onto the verandah and saw deceased lying dead there; I lifted deceased up, and carried him into the house, and placed him on a sofa; when I lifted the deceased up I saw the double barrel gun produced; it was lying under deceased; I was using the gun last night shooting opossums; when I brought the gun in I left it hanging on one of the beams of the roof; it was not loaded in either barrel; when I picked the gun up, after lifting deceased on the sofa, I noticed that it had been recently discharged; I am sure that no one but deceased took the gun after I hung it on the beam; I did not hear the report of a gun being fired during the night; it would be possible for a gun to be fired on the verandah of the house without me hearing it as I sleep in a room some distance from the verandah.

I informed my brother of what had taken place and he reported the matter to the police; my brother's name is James Crossley; when I hung up the gun on the beam, the hammers of both barrels were cocked, and when I found it where deceased was lying, the hammer on the right-hand barrel was down and battered cap on the nipple; the gun is my property; deceased often used it.

Sarah Crossley deposed:- The deceased (Jeremiah Crossley) is my husband; deceased is 73 years of age; I last saw deceased alive at eleven o'clock last night, July 31st, 1884; he was suffering from rheumatic pains in his legs; I bathed his legs with hot water and turpentine about nine o'clock; he then went to bed, and shortly afterwards I went to bed also; we slept in the same bed; after we went to bed we slept a short time, and about eleven o'clock deceased complained that the pains were very severe, and he would get up; he told me not to get up, or that I had better go into the bed with my daughter; I told him I would stay where I was, but that I would leave him plenty of room to get in and out without disturbing me; deceased then got up and I heard him making a fire; he sat by the fire, and I went to sleep; about two o'clock this morning I was awakened by hearing a noise like something falling on to the ground; I thought that deceased had fallen down; I got up and when I came into the room where the fire was, I could not see deceased; both doors of the room were open; I called to deceased, asking where he was, and, hearing no reply, went in search of him, and found him lying on the verandah; I noticed that blood was flowing from the left side of his head; I then called my daughter and son, and when my son carried deceased to the sofa, I saw the gun produced lying where the body of deceased was lifted from; the gun is the property of the last witness; deceased, when he complained of the pains, said if he suffered another night as much as he had done on last Tuesday night, he could not stand it; I am quite sure deceased fired the shot that caused his death; he had said he would make away with himself rather than again suffer the pains he endured on last Tuesday night; deceased appeared to be quite dead when I found him; deceased and myself always lived on the best of terms, and the only reason I can assign for deceased committing suicide was the acute pains he was suffering.

Alton Kingsley Hoets deposed: I am a legally qualified medical practitioner, and reside at Yass; I have made a post mortem examination of the deceased (Jeremiah Crossley); immediately in front of the right ear I found a large irregular wound, communicating with the interior of the skull; the edges of the wound were blackened, and smelt strongly of burnt gunpowder; on opening the skull, I found the bones on the right side of the head extremely fractured; the interior portion of the brain is severely lacerated; on the left side of the brain I found a large quantity of small sized shot; it appears to be No. 4 shot; I produce some of the shot found in the brain; there were no other marks of violence about the body; I am of opinion that the cause of death was injury to the brain, caused by a gunshot wound; the wound could have been inflicted by deceased, who could have placed the muzzle of the gun produced to his head, and fired it by touching the trigger with his foot; he could not have pulled the trigger with his hand; a shot fired from the gun produced would cause such a wound as I have described.

The jury found the following verdict that the deceased Jeremiah Crossley of Wargeila died on the first day of August 1884 from the effects of a gunshot wound inflicted by himself on the same day 
Crossley, Jeremiah (I20)


An inquest was held on Wednesday at the Commercial Hotel on Wednesday on the body of Thomas Milham, alias Sheather.

James Harding deposed : I am a farmer, residing at Oura; have seen the body of deceased, and identify as that of a man I always knew as " Tom," and whom I have often seen; last saw him alive on Sunday morning, 19th inst. ; on Saturday night, the 18th, about 9 o'clock, I was on horseback on my way home from Wagga, and on passing M'Mullen's publichouse in North Wagga deceased came out on horseback and joined me ; he was not sober; we rode together towards Oura ; we went on quietly for about two miles, abreast of each other, when deceased's horse appeared to plunge suddenly forward, as though he had been struck with the spur; deceased fell off instantly, and the horse ran away; the man did not get up, and I said, "Are you all right ?" he replied, " Yes ;" then went after the horse, which I caught and brought back in about twenty minutes; when I returned deceased lay on his belly moaning; I said "Are you hurt, Tom ?" he made no answer, and only moaned ; then rode as fast as I could to Mr. Robert M'Intyre's, and told him what had happened ; three men returned with me to where deceased lay to see if we could get him to Mr. M'Intyre's place, but we could not get him up ; as deceased was not sober we thought if we let him lie and have a sleep he would be all right; then went home and left the other men with him ; the next morning (Sunday) I was passing the spot with my wife and saw deceased lying where I had left him the night before; saw he was moving; he raised his head and lifted his feet, and I thought he was all right; never saw him alive afterwards; deceased and I had nothing at all to drink together ; he always appeared to be a strong, healthy, able-bodied man.

Robert Somerville deposed : I am a farming man, in the employ of Mr. Robert M'Intyre ; have seen the body, the subject of this inquest, and identify it as that of a man I always knew as Tom Sheather; remember the night of Saturday, the 18th instant; then saw the last witness ; he came to Mr. M'Intyre's brother's place, where I was, and was riding very fast; he said, " Old Tom has fallen off his horse, and I doubt if he is not almost killed," and asked me to go down and see him; this was about 9 o'clock ; went with two others and Harding himself to the spot where diseased was lying; he was lying almost on the track, on his side, with his back against a tree ; he was not moaning, but he commenced to do so when we strove to raise him up ; he seemed to be in a sleep and was snoring; we thought him drunk, and that he would be all right after he had had a sleep, and we left him ; we were with him about an hour ; at daybreak I went to where deceased lay, and took a billy of water with me; found him lying a few feet from where I left him the night before; spoke to him and asked him if he was fit to come home, and tried to rouse him and get him up, but all he would say was "Let me be," and he did not make any attempt to rise; observed a little skin off tho top of his head put my hand on it and said, "Is that sore, Tom ?" deceased said " No;" then felt the back of his head, and he immediately cried out, "Oh, Somerville, don't do that ;" when I found I could not raise deceased, I went home and told Mr. M'Intyre ; he told me to catch a horse, put him into a waggonette, and go for deceased ; I did so ; when I got within about eighty rods of the deceased I saw him getting to his feet ; he walked about seven or eight steps towards me and then lay down against another tree ; when I got to him he was on his mouth and nose again; tried to raise him and said "I have the horse and waggonette for you ;" after a little he attempted to scramble up, and with my assistance got upright ; he then leant his head against a tree, and said " God have mercy on me" two or three times; then he lay down again and I could not rouse him any more; got help from a traveller, and put deceased into the vehicle; took him to Mr. M'Intyre's, and two of us carried him in and laid him on his bed; he only snored, and did not appear to rouse himself; on Monday, at noon, Mr. M'Intyre gave me a note to the police at Wagga; I did not know tbe contents of it, but Mr. M'Intyre told me it was for the police to come and take deceased away; gave the note to a constable who gave it to the sergeant; the sergeant wrote a reply and gave it to me ; he said, " I have no horse or convenience to send for the man, but if Mr. M'Intyre will send him in I will get him into the hospital"; as soon as I got back I gave the note to Mr. R, M'Intyre's brother to deliver to him; on Tuesday morning, by Mr. M'lntyre's directions, I took deceased in the waggonnette to the hospital, and delivered him to the wardsman ; It was after night on Monday before I got back to Mr. M'Intyre's and gave the sergeant's note to his brother ; it was between 10 and 11 o'clock in the forenoon on Tuesday when I got to the hospital with deceased. To my knowledge deceased had never spoken from Sunday, just before we placed him in tho waggonette; of my own knowledge I do not know the deceased was in the habit of drinking to excess; he was living when I got him to the hospital, but never appeared to recognise me from the time I put my hand to the back of his head on Sunday.

Robert Mclntyre deposed: I am a farmer and grazier, residing at Glenfiield, in the Wagga district; have seen the body, the subject of this inquiry, and recognise it as that of Thomas Milham, alias Sheathar, who has been frequently working for me at intervals during tho past twelve years; he was not generally intemperate ; he left my house on Saturday morning, the 18th instant, after having been settled with ; the witness Harding came to me just as I was going to bed, to say that old Tom had met with an accident; he said, " old Tom hos been thrown from his horse and very much hurt, or half killed," or words to that effect; sent him at once for help to my brother's, which is only about 300 or 400 yards from my own residence; early on Sunday morning was told by the witness Somerville that deceased appeared still very unwell: he was breathing heavily, and was not able to stand up ; then sent a wagonotte for him, and deceased was brought to my house about 9 or 10 o'clock ; he was placed on his own bed; we repeatedly tried to get tea down his throat, but could not; he appeared helpless, and always remained in one position unless moved by us ; in this state he remained all Sunday and Monday; on Monday I began to fear deceased was in danger, and in the afternoon sent Somerville with a note to the police to have deceased removed, stating my belief that he required more attention than I could give him ; Sergeant Vizzard replied that he had no means of removing deceased into town, and if he had, he had no power to remove him from my residence ; also, that if I would send him in he would have him placed in the lockup for protection; on Tuesday morning, as soon as we could possibly get deceased started, I sent him to the care of the police, as directod by Sergeant Vizzard; he was alive then, but I never saw him so afterwards; settled with deceased a week before his death, and have no money of his in my hands ; should say deceased was about fifty-two years of age ; did not notice him vomit; for some time back he appeared to have very little appetite.

Morgan O'Connor deposed : I am a legally qualified medical practitioner, residing in Wagga ; have made a postmortem examination of the body the subject of this enquiry ; on the 21st inst., about 11 o'clock a.m., was called to see the deceased in the hospital ; he was placed in the ward, and was dying ; as I found the bladder greatly distressed, I relieved that organ of the urine, and injected, by the rectum, stimulants to raise him ; they had no effect, and the man died about half- past 1 o'clock ; this morning, by direction, I made a post-mortem examination of the body ; externally there were no marks of violence, except a contusion on tho top of the head ; cut down under this; there was no fracture of thoe skull; on raising the skull cap I found extensive extravasation of blood over all the substance of the brain ; the vertebrae of the neck was sound; the liver was much diseased ; the stomach and bowels were tho roughly empty; the cause of death was extravastion of blood on the brain; have heard the evidence, and consider that a fall from a horse, such as has been described by one of the witnesses, would be likely to produce the effects I saw and have deposed to ; it would be impossible to say that had early attention been paid to deceased his life might have been saved, but drunkenness greatly aggravates effects in such cases.

The Jury returned a verdict to the effect that Thomas Milham, alias Sheather, died at the Wagga Wagga Hospital on the 21st January from the effects of a fall from his horse on the night of the I8th inst., which resulted in extravasation of blood upon the brain.
Milham, Thomas William (I21067)

Mr. Alt, the stationmaster at Hilltop who met with an accident, causing both legs to be amputated at the hospital, is progressing favourably and hopes of his recovery are entertained
Alt, James (I46)

Country music lover Noel Francis Wales of Chisholm St, Goulbum has died at Goulburn Base Hospital, aged 65.

Born on December 27, 1926, Mr Wales was educated at Cootamundra Sacred Heart Primary School and De La Salle High School before spending 46 years with the State Rail Authority.

He ended up as a Senior State Guard for the SRA and spent 40 years in Goulburn. He also resided at Cootamundra, Yass and Hornsby.

Mr Wales came from a very strong family background and being a country music lover he would travel anywhere there was a concert, especially if Slim Dusty was appearing.

He was a member of the Australian Railways Union and Labor Party and was always eager to do voluntary work for the Worker's Club and Railway Christmas Picnics.

Mr Wales was a Director of the Goulburn Worker's Club, President of the Kenmore Rugby League Club and a voluntary worker for St Vincent De Paul.

He retired at 63 and unfortunately contracted a rare blood disease. He fought bravely against all odds and died on November 1.

He was predeceased by his mother and father, his sister Dolly and his brothers Vince, Tom and John.

He is survived by his wife Betty of Goulburn, Paul (son) Gosford, Donna (daughter) Sydney, LeeAnne (daughter) Goulburn, Anthony (son) Gosford, Lisa (daughter) Terrigal, Louise (daughter) Forresters Beach, Trix (sister) Fairfield and Bill (brother) Greenacre.

The funeral was conducted by Fr Paul Tarpey at Ss Peters and Paul's Cathedral with interment at Norwood Crematorium, Canberra on November 4.

Betty Wales and family would like to thank all their relations, friends and neighbours for the floral tributes, messages of sympathy and help.

Special thanks to Dr Renton and nursing staff at Goulburn Base, the Palliative Care ladies for their love and caring support and John Crooks 
Wales, Noel Francis (I12390)

Mrs Churchill, the widow of the late Isaac Churchill of Gullen, who died at Gullen on the 10th inst, was buried at the chapel there on the following Tuesday and her body was followed to the grave by about 200 people from all parts of the district. The weather was most wretched - about the worst day we have experienced this winter - and that such a large number attended shows the respect in which the deceased was held. Had the weather been fine, fully double the number, I am sure, would have been present. The late Mrs Churchill was greatly esteemed throughout the district in which she was long resident, and a large number of her neighbours can testify to her usefulness when amongst them, to her untiring assiduity and kindness in attending the sick, etc. She closed a long life of 65 years, having reared a large family, by whom and all that knew her, her loss will be deeply regretted. d. 10.8.1879.
Hann, Harriet (I32172)


Mr. Les. Aspland, of Brawlin, reports getting an eagle hawk bigger than the one displayed in our window for a few days. Nine feet from tip to tip! It was a dead bird- had picked up some poison. Anything to beat this one?
Aspland, Leslie James (I75)

Death at Gunning.
Our correspondent writes :- Mrs. Bean, relict of the late Mr. Joseph Bean, of Frankfield, died at the residence of her daughter-in-law, Mrs. A. Rodram, on Friday, about noon, in her 83rd year. She survived her husband by about 10 years. The cause of death was general decay. She leaves behind her two sons, Joseph and Charles, and a daughter, Mrs. J. Waye, of the Yass and Collector Inn. She was a sister-in-law of Mrs. J. Collet, of Goulburn. Mrs. Bean and her husband came to the district over 50 years ago. They kept an hotel at Frank field for some time, and later on built in Gunning what is now known as the Frankfield Hotel. Since the death of her husband she had never been con tent at home and had lived with her daughter-in- law for the past five years. She died quietly and peacefully.
McConville, Sarah (I888)

Death Notices
On Friday last, aged 64, Mr. William Hargreaves, miller, North Shore. 
Hargreaves, William (I45438)

Death of Mr William Perks

One of the saddest deaths that have occured at Young for a long time is that of Mr. William Wainwright Perks, who succumbed to pneumonic influenza in the Emergency Hospital last week, aged 48 years. The deceased got the influenza in the ordinary form about three weeks ago and went to bed for a few days. He had a contract on Memagong station, and although he had not been long out of bed drove a man out on Wednesday week. He stayed there for the night, and on his return home felt so ill that he went to bed again. He had evidently caught a relapse as he grew worse, and on Thursday of last week was taken to the Emergency Hospital in a serious condition. He was a son of Mrs. Eliza Perks, of Main Street. He was borne at Boorowa and married at Yass. A widow and five sons and two daughters are left to mourn their loss. The eldest of the family is a son aged 20 and the youngest a daughter aged 3. Five are at home to be cared for. Mr. D. Perks, teacher of Tumbleton School, is a brother, and Mesdames Albert Wales and E.E. Begg (Young) Sisters. Mrs. A. Plumb, another sister, resides at Gunning, and two other brothers, Messrs Henry and Joseph at Millthorpe and Condobolin respectively. The remains were interred in the Methodist portion of the cemetry, Rev. A. E. Putland conducting the ceremony and Messrs. Patterson Bros, the funeral arrangements. - ' Chronicle'
Perks, William Wainwright (I738)


To live for 72 years in the one district (says the Gundagai "Independent") is a record that has not often been recorded in Australia, but it was notched to the credit of Mr. George Sheather, of Nangus, who died in Gundagai Hospital last Wednesday. Deceased was born at Gundagai 72 years ago, lived there all those years and reared a big family and over 50 decendants are left to testify to the fact that deceased played his part as a good Australian. For some time past the old gentleman had bean ailing - after a strenuous life came the reaction - and for some weeks he had been an inmate of Gundagai Hospital. The late Mr. Sheather is survived by his wife and the following children : Mrs. C. Smith, Nangus; Mrs. Bert Smith, "Balmoral,'" Gundagai; Mrs. Jno. Sullivan, Nangus; Mr. A. Watkins, Batlow; Mrs. Clarrie Joyce, West Wyalong; Miss Ethel Sheather, Sydney; Mr. George Sheather, Nangus; and Mr. Ridley Sheather, South Gundagai. Deceased leaves a brother (Mr. Jno. Sheather, Nangus) and two sisters (Mrs. A. Burke, Temora, and Miss Eliza Sheather, Nangus), as well as 40 grandchildren and three great grandchildren. The burial took place in the C.E. cemetery, North Gundagai, on Thursday morning; Rev. H. F. Champion reading the service.
Sheather, George (I10376)


For some time past the health of Mr. Silas Sheather had been of such an unsatisfactory character that his many friends could not fail to realise that the end of his earthly career was not far off. He died at 3 a.m. on Thursday at the advanced age of 82 years. He suffered some time ago from rheumatism and dropsy; then his illness merged into senile decay. The deceased was one of the best known residents of Parramatta, he having lived at Camellia Grove (his far-famed old Parramatta River nursery) for about 54 or 55 years. He leaves three daughters - Mrs. J. Ridal, Mrs. J. Muir and Miss Sheather. and six sons, Messrs. Henry, John, Silas, William, James and Arthur Sheather. The funeral, which was largely attended, took place on Friday afternoon (yesterday), and moved to St. John's Church, then to St. John's cemetery. The coffin was carried to St. John's Church, where the family had been worshippers for over 50 years ; and the service at the graveside was conducted by tho Ven. Archdeacon Gunthor. A number of beautiful wreaths were laid upon the coffin. Arrangements in connection with tho interment were in the hands of Mr. Ralph Metcalfe. Mr. Sheather had seen the growth of Parramatta from a straggling military village. He originally came to Parramatta with the Macarthurs, when those sturdy pion- eers commenced sheep-raising on Elizabeth Farm, within sight of what was to be Mr. Sheather's home for so many years. That was over 60 years ago. He landed in New South Wales when he was 14 years of age, and had really lived in Parramatta ever since. Mr. Sheather was widely known amongst the old horticulturists as tho most successful raiser of the camellia in Australia. When that beautiful flower was enjoying its day of popular favour, Mr. Sheather's fine grove was one of the spots marked out for the tourist and the sight-seer to visit. The old gentleman to the last still clung to his fancy, and could see in the camellia a flower that surpassed all other creations. His latest creation was a beautiful flower, and he brought to us the first bloom and asked us to suggest a name. It was Commonwealth time, and we suggested the flower be called "Commonwealth." He was delighted with the name, which he accepted. His whole soul was wrapped up in his flowers, and he loved to meet and talk with one whose fancies ran in the same direction. In the good old days he made a fortune out of his camellias, and it was a common thing to see two or three men, each bearing a couple of long bamboo poles from which were suspended bunches of camellias. These men would go to Sydney by the early steamer, and convey the flowers to the markets, where they commanded a ready sale at a good price. But Mr. Sheather was not the man to hoard up wealth. He was easy, hospitable and generous, otherwise he might easily have ended his days in comparative affluence. But that was not to be. There is something, however, more to his credit. He and his good wife will ever be remembered as two of the kindliest natures that ever existed in the old town. His name was unsullied, and he knew not the name of an enemy.
Sheather, Silas Charles (I6721)


Mr. William Wainwright Perks, a well known and respected resident of Young, died in the Emergency Hospital, Young, last evening from pneumonic influenza, after about a week's illness. Deceased, who was 48 years of age, was born at Burrowa and was a son of the late Patrick Perks and Mrs. E. Perks, of Main Street, Young. He was a brother of Messrs Joseph, Harry and Dunstan Perks, his sisters being Mrs. A. Wales (Marengo street) Mrs. E. Begg (Main street, Young), Mrs. A. Plumb (Gunning). Deceased was married to Miss Priscilla Edgerton, of Rye Park, who with a family of five sons and two daughters, the eldest of whom is 20 and the youngest three years, survive. Deceased has been a resident of Young for 17 years. The funeral took place this afternoon to the Methodist portion of the Young cemetery.
Perks, William Wainwright (I738)

Death of Mrs. E. Perks.

As the evening church bells of Xmas Day pealed, passed away the spirit of Eliza Perks, one of the gentlest christians in the town of Young. The deceased was the daughter of the late William Armstrong of Edgerton, Mundoonan, and was born 78 years ago in Sydney. In 1867 she married Josiah William Perks, grazier of Rye Park, but in 1885 her husband died at Yass. Although left with a young family of seven, without a husband's help and comfort she bravely undertook the management of her late husband's properties and reared her children facing her trials with a true christian fortitude and faith that set her children an example that it has not been the privilege of all families to enjoy. About 15 years ago she came to live at Young where most of the family were residing. Although never very active of late years she had not been really ailing till a fortnight ago, when she contracted slight congestion of the lungs. Despite every earthly attention being given with unfailing devotion by her son and daughters she seemed to gradually sink, passing peacefully away. Besides the sorrowing daughter, Mrs. Begg at whose home she died she leaves, two other daughters, viz. Mrs. A. Wales (Young) Mrs. A. Plumb (Gunning ) also three sons, Harry (Milthorpe), Josiah (Eugowra), and Dunstan (Young). Two daughters predeceased the husband and one son,William, died seventeen months ago, during the influenza epidemic.

The remains enclosed in a silver mounted polished maple casket were laid to rest on Sunday in the Methodist portion of the Young cemetery. Rev. A. E.Putland officiated at the graveside, and spoke feelingly of the splendid christian character of the deceased. Loving, and being a staunch adherent of the church, the hymn "That Will be Glory For Me" which she always loved so much to hear was sung over the grave. As the years pass by the family will realise the truth of one of her many sayings?"The memory of a good life scents like a rose, after death."
Armstrong, Eliza (I195)


After a somewhat lingering illness, there passed away at her home, in Justin street, Cootamundra, on Sat- urday last, a well known and highly respected old citizen, in the person of Mrs. Loiterton. Deceased was 72 years of age. Many years ago, Mr. and Mrs. Loiterton settled on the land at Jindalee, and later came to town to live, Mr. Loiterton building a cosy little home in our midst. The other members of the family are: Messrs. Charlie Loiter- ton, East Jindalee; James (Stockin- bingal); Jack (Mount Hope, Stockin- bingal); Mrs. A. Armstrong; Mrs. Bob Mutch; Mrs. Tom Mutch; and Mrs. Cranfield, all of Cootamundra; Mrs. Lyons, Parramatta;. and Mrs. Tom Manning.
Sheather, Ellen (I653)

MARTIN.-At the home of her daughter. Mrs. Aspland, Hopetoun street Camperdown. on January 20th, 1923. Mary Ann, widow of the late William Martin. formerly of Hawthorn. Birregurra and Newton, Geelong, and elder daughter of the late Matthew and Hannah Farndale, aged 92 years. 
Farndale, Mary Ann (I71)

Death. - It is my painful duty to have to report the death of a very old and much respected resident - Mr. Joseph Bean, sen. - which took place at his residence, Frankfield, yesterday. The deceased gentleman had attained the age of sixty-one years. For many years he carried on business as an hotel keeper. He built and conduced the Frankficld Hotel, so favourably known to all travellers on the main southern road, before, the railway extension to this place. In those days the Frankfield Hotel was the stopping place for Governors, Judges, and, I might say, all the upper classes. When the railway works were started at Goulburn, he built an hotel close to our railway station, which he also called the Frankfield Hotel. He carried on business in this house for some, time, but his health became so im paired that he leased the hotel, and went back to reside at Frankfield. His funeral takes place to morrow, and I am sure will be largely attended by all classes, for he had the esteem and respect of all who had dealings with him.- January 10.
Bean, Joseph (I833)

DEATH. SITLINGTON.Killed in action in France on the 19th July, 1916, after service at Gallipoli (wounded at Cape Helles), Egypt and France, Private Alec. Farndale Sitlington, dearly beloved only son of A. J. and M. Sitlington, of Gellibrand street, Colac, and loving brother of Irene.
Sitlington, Alexander Farndale (I41976)

DEATH. SMITH---On the 10th April, Harold Farndale, eldest son of Horatio and Ada Smith, aged 19 years and 11 months. The funeral will leave his parent's residence, Corangamite Street, at 4 o'clock, THIS (Monday) AFTERNOON. for the Colac Cemetery. T. W. SHARROW, Tel. 51. Undertaker.

Widespread regret was expressed on all sides on receipt of the news of the death of Harold Farndale, eldest son of Mr and Mrs H. Smith, well-known residents of Colac. The deceased, who was only 19 years and 11 months old contracted typhoid fever a short time ago, and succumbed to the dread dis- ease on Sunday. He was very popular and amongst the foremost of our athletes. The funeral will leave the residence of his parents, Corangamite street, this day (Monday), at 4 o'cloock for interment in the Colac cemetery.
Smith, Harold Farndale (I36336)


........ ASPLAND.-On June 25. at the residence of her daughter (Mrs. Woodmason), Grange, Cobden. Elizabeth Clarissa, eldest daughter of the late William and Mary Anne Martin, of Birregurra, beloved wife of William Aspland and loving mother of Percy, Ethel, Nellie, Hilda, Herbert. Ada, Leslie, Clarice, and Doris, aged 92 years. -The long day closes. .......
Martin, Elizabeth Clarissa Teresa (I73)


ASPLAND, Phyllis Nellie - January 27 1948 at her residence 51 Nasmith Street Young Loved mother of Gwen (Mrs. E Brown) Audry (Mrs Mote) Mona and Raymond and beloved daughter of Mrs L Mutch and late Robert Mutch of Cootamundra aged 48 years.
Mutch, Phyllis Nellie (I76)



At the Wagga District Court before Judge Coyle, Norman Edward Sheather of Wagga petitioned for a divorce from his wife Louisa Ann Sheather, on the ground of desertion for three years and upwards.

Mr. Brian Clancy (instructed by Messrs. J. C. Sheekey and Co.) appeared for the petitioner. There was no appearance of the respondent.

Sheather said that he was married to the respondent at St. John's Church Wagga, in 1919. They lived at Wagga for some time, and then went to Cur rawarna. They returned to Wagga, and he was employed by the Murrum bidgee Milling Co. When he was on night shift his wife would tell him that she was going to the pic tures. He discovered that she was going to dances in the country. He objected, but his wife continued to go to the dances. One day after his wife had been to a dance he spoke to her about it, and she said that she would do as she pleased. That day his wife left the house and did not return. He saw her later and asked her to return to him, but she declined. He wrote to his wife at Cootamundra asking her to return home, but she replied that she would not return .

Judge Coyle found the issue proved.
Family F4820



In tho Divorce Court on Tuesday, before Mr. Justicc G. B. Simpson, Robert Henry Loitorton petitioned for a dissolution of his marriage with Annie Loiterton (formerly Thorning), on the grounds of desertion and adultery with Alfred Godfrey, who was joined as co-respondent. The petitioner, for whom Mr. A. Watt (instructed by Messrs. Brown and Beeby) appeared, said he was married to the respondent on January 14, 1892, at Wallendbeen, according to the rites of the Methodist Church. The ceremony took place in a public house, both he and the respondent being under age. They lived on friendly terms until 1902, when she left him, leaving a letter in which she advised him to give up drink, to get a divorce, and to marry a woman who would not be an expense to him, and who would not drive him to drink. Subsequently he saw his wife and Godfrey together at an hotel in Wagga. Godfrey had for 12 months been in his employ as a laborer at Cootomundra. He asked her why she had left the little ones, and she said she did not know, that she must have been mad. He asked her to return, but she said she could not face the people again after what she had done. She said she would sooner be with Godfrey, anyhow. God frey said it could not bo helped, that 'these things do happen'. Godfrey was a bigger man than he was. Sub sequently the respondent, and the corespondent, in a statement, admitted misconduct. A decree nisi was granted, returnable in six months, co-respondent to pay costs, and the petitioner to have custody of the children.
Family F1021

      1 2 3 4 5 ... 60» Next»