AUSIGEN - Family History

John Joseph Campbell

Male 1838 - 1928  (90 years)


Personal Information    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name John Joseph Campbell 
    Born 1838  Kurnol, India Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Article
    • He built his own house, the second to be built in Bowral. It was a small wooden cottage at the southern end of Bong Bong Street which was demolished in 1920/21 to be replaced by Gregory's Garage.
    Article
    • He was the successful tenderer to build the first hospital in Bowral. The tender was for ?883 and the building later became part of the nurse's quarters
    Article
    • He was the Mayor of Bowral for 1889/90 and 1893/94
    Article 18 May 1889  Bowral, NSW, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • He officially lit the first gas street light in Bowral (one of 25)
    Article 22 Jan 1890  Bowral, NSW, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • He opened the new Bowral Council Chambers
    Article 26 May 1896  Bowral, NSW, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • As a Justice of the Peace, he heard the first charge to be brought in the new Bowral Court House. The charge of insobriety against John Quigg was dismissed, owing to the special circumstances of the occassion
    Article 12 Nov 1926  The Mail, Bowral, NSW, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • He gave the following details in an interview.
      Mr. Campbell, now resident near Sydney, (Beecroft ) was an old resident of Bowral and built many of the early houses.
      Beginnings of Methodism. The land comprising the township of Bowral and the surrounding district was a grant from the crown to Mr. Oxley, grandfather of Mr. H. M. Oxley, now so well known in the town.
      Settlers began to come to the town and district about the year 1862 and Mr. Campbell thinks the first land sale was held in that year. Mr. Campbell himself came to Bowral from Camden on 2nd. January, 1863.
      Perhaps the best method of furnishing information would be to supply the answers to certain questions asked in a recent issue of the Southern Mail.
      The first settler in Bowral was Mr. Faulks, who came from Camden and built a public house and store in 1862 on the land where the Presbyterian Church now stands. Mr. J. J. Campbell built the second house in the town - a small wooden cottage in the Southern end of Bong Bong St., where Gregory's garage is now situated. I am enclosing a photo of this cottage which was demolished only about 5 or 6 years ago.
      The first Anglican minister to preach in Bowral was Rev. Hassal, who came over from Berrima and conducted service in a stone building, which stood where the Public School now stands. This was about 1863, when the people were beginning to come in some numbers.
      The first Anglican minister appointed to Bowral was the Rev. G. Middleton.
      The first Methodist example ( Wesleyan Minister ) to preach here was Rev. S. Wilkinson, who came across from Camden in 1863 and used to conduct service in a bark hut situated where the Mail office now stands. These services, however, were not regular. The first Wesleyan Minister really appointed to the locality was Rev. George ( afterwards, Dr. ) Lane. The circuit was named Berrima and the minister lived in that township. The circuit was called in succession, Berrima Nattai, Mittagong and finally Bowral in 1888. Rev. J. Bowers in 1870 ( and his successors ) continued to live in that town till 1882, when Rev. T. R. McMichael removed to Bowral, which then became in reality what it had been virtually for some years before the head of the circuit. The name of Bowral, however, was not given to the circuit until 1888, as stated before.
      The first Wesleyan Methodist Church in Bowral was built by Mr. Jacob Ward, probably in 1864. It was a weatherboard church or chapel, as the people of that day called it, and was built in Bendooley St. It was afterwards removed to the back of the allotment to make room for the brick church to be built in 1881 and recently vacated. Here it did duty as the Sunday School, and has recently been removed to the Annesley College Grounds. The parsonage in Bendooley St. was built in 1884. Both the parsonage and the brick church were built by Mr. J. J. Campbell. ( The brick church 1881).
      The first Primitive Methodist Minister was Rev. Jabej Ashmead, and the first church was situated on Oxley's Hill.
      Later on a weatherboard church was built in Bong Bong St. This is now the home of the Four Mails.
      The first livery stables proprietor was Mr. James Comer, and his stable was situated where Mr. J. Goodfellow now has his auction rooms.
      The first baker was Mr. John Mealing, and the first butcher was Mr. Terry.
      The first brick maker was Mr. G. G. Willis, who made the bricks for Charker's hotel about the year 1863 in the southern end of Bong Bong St. opposite where Gregory's garage now stands.
      The first timber merchant was Mr. H. Pain.
      The first carpenter was Mr. J. J. Campbell, who built his own house in 1863 ( second house in Bowral. )
      The first carter was Mr. Wilson.
      The first chemist was Mr. East.
      The first bricklayer was Mr. Tom Little.
      The first saddler was Mr. Porter.
      The first newspaper was published by Mr. Webb and was called, "The Bowral Free Press."
      The first building on the hospital block was erected by Mr. J. J. Campbell to the plans of Mr. H. Kent. The foundation stone was laid by Lord Carrington, Governor of N. S. Wales.
      The quarries were first worked by A. M. Leggit, from Melbourne, who in the first instance bought from Mr. Eli. Beer some immense boulders of trachyte, which lay on his ground, and from all accounts astonished the natives of the place by the neat, clean and rapid method by which these unwieldy and apparently useless stones were cut into building block size. Mr. Leggit afterwards turned his attention to the Gib.
      When it was constructed, the old railway tunnel at Bowral was the longest in N. S. Wales.
      A boy of 14 years received 12 lashes in Moss Vale lockup on 15th December, 1886, for indecent assault.
      The sight of the Catholic Church in Bowral was decided upon at a meeting on 25th October 1886.
    Obit Bowral, NSW, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • OUR OLDEST PIONEER.
      At the ripe age of 91 years, Mr. J. J. Campbell, an old and highly honoured pioneer of Bowral, passed away on Tuesday last at the home of his daughter, Mrs. J. W. Miller, of Beecroft. Mr. Campbell arrived in Bowral in January 1863. He was a carpenter and built many of the older houses and buildings in the town. It is said that his own house, which long stood near the corner of Bong Bong and Bowral Sts., was the second house built within the town boundary. The old Methodist Church was one of the buildings built by him. Mr. Campbell was Mayor of Bowral in 1889, when the town hall was built and his name appears upon the fa?ade. He was one of the founders of The School of Arts, and had part in many of our local institutions. A man of stirling worth and unimpeachable honour, his name was respected far beyond the town in which he lived. After a life of great usefulness in this community, he retired to the city many years ago and there spent his declining years. But he never forgot the old town and when " The Mail" was printing reminiscences before " Back to Bowral Week," one of the most interesting letters came from his pen. Mrs. Campbell pre deceased him some 19 years ago.

      " The Mail" Friday-March 23rd. 1928.
      RETURN THANKS.
      Mr. & Mrs. J. W. Miller wish to convey their sincere thanks to all friends for their kind expressions of sympathy on the occasion of their recent bereavement in the death of Mr. J. J. Campbell.
      The funeral of the late Mr. J. J. Campbell at Bowral cemetery was largely attended. Old friends came from all parts of the district to pay the last tribute of respect to his memory
    Occupation the first carpenter in Bowral 
    Died 20 Mar 1928  Beecroft, NSW, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried cemetery, Bowral, NSW, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I1023  Mote/McInnes
    Last Modified 11 Apr 2008 

    Father Patrick Campbell 
    Mother Margaret Riordan,   b. Australia Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F523  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Mary Ann Loiterton,   b. 1840, Lutton, Lincolnshire, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 14 Mar 1909, Bowral, NSW, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 69 years) 
    Married 17 Mar 1859  Cobbitty Paddock, Camden, NSW, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Children 
     1. Margaret Isabella Campbell,   b. 02 Feb 1871, Bowral, NSW, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 04 Dec 1947, Beecroft, NSW, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 76 years)
    Last Modified 17 Mar 2018 
    Family ID F517  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 17 Mar 1859 - Cobbitty Paddock, Camden, NSW, Australia Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsArticle - 18 May 1889 - Bowral, NSW, Australia Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsArticle - 22 Jan 1890 - Bowral, NSW, Australia Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsArticle - 26 May 1896 - Bowral, NSW, Australia Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsObit - - Bowral, NSW, Australia Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 20 Mar 1928 - Beecroft, NSW, Australia Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - - cemetery, Bowral, NSW, Australia Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth